Wednesday, March 08, 2006

liverpool 0 charlton 0

yesterday my colleague asked me to help her do something simple, and I objected on the grounds that it wasn't my job, leading to a confrontation, a dressing down by my branch head, the spoiling of my relationship with her, and me sending an apology to everyone on the email list. She sent an email saying she accepted my apology, but we're still not on talking terms.

this has led to another colleague (B), who doesn't like her, thinks the first colleague is dangerous (A), tries to warn me against her, & in a sense even use me as a weapon to get back at her. at lunch today, B and I were having lunch with C. B tried to get me to tell C about the bad things A had done. Every time B talked about the bad things she claims A did, C says that we shouldn't do such things, & says what's the right thing that should be done, ostensibly telling B that that's what A should have done, but I can tell that she's objectively telling me that this is what I should do!

I didn't wanna help her cos it's not my job, but in the past I wanna help others cos the Bible said so. B said, "who are you trying to be, Jesus Christ?"

I said, "yes."

and B said, "你干麻呢? 你做不到的 - 你又不是圣人." I have a reputation in the office for being too soft and kind, like a lamb that's waiting to be slaughtered.

Did I do the right thing? Telling B off in the email destroyed the relationship between B & me, destroyed the reputation that I've sought to build up, put me in a bad light to my boss & colleagues, endangered my Current Estimated Potential, put me in a precarious position cos there's been many times my colleagues have been nice & magnanimous to me & now they can always choose not to, unleashed greater politics in the office, & failed to glorify God there too.

Do I have a single friend in the office? In the office everyone has no permanent frens, just permanent interests.

The writer is doing conscription liability in _______. He contributed this article to the blog in his personal capacity. He cannot be named to protect his identity.

4 Comments:

Blogger the third wei said...

*hugz*

it's liddat one lar, office politics.

then lead to more work that turns up in the scrap bin.

i oso kenna, twice this week.

the operative word... 'ren3'

:)

2:30 PM  
Blogger Dominic said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Dominic said...

Hi Eugene. I'm real proud that you stood up for the ways of Christ even in such a pressurizing context.

Regarding what you're going through in your political workplace, I seemed to have found some answers during my quiet time.

here's the link

Take care, bro. If God's for us, who can be against us?

6:03 AM  
Blogger lyraine said...

don't u remember what was said in raffles?

that.. there's no such thing as friends... only vested interests

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home